Several weeks ago, the fantastic new blogger over at Nice Dress! Thanks, I Made It!! nominated me for a Liebster Award! I feel so honored, and part of the reason it’s taken me forever to blog about it is I wanted to make sure I did a good job. The basic gist of the award is that it is given to bloggers with fewer than 200 follower by bloggers who have already been nominated – so, essentially a blog chain letter. The goal is to promote smaller blogs. Each nominee must answer 11 questions asked by the blogger nominating them, and then must nominate 11 bloggers themselves.
I’ll start with the Q&A:
1. What is your favourite snack?
Anything with chocolate, especially if it’s a scone.
2. What is your favourite movie?
Lord of the Rings. Always.
3. Do you have pets?
Not anymore, but I used to have an extremely manipulative and slightly demonic tuxedo cat. She’s one of the reasons I didn’t knit as much when I lived in Princeton…
4. How long have you been blogging?
Technically I started this blog in April of 2012, but back then it was a fashion blog and didn’t really take off. I started sewing again in September of 2013, and that’s when I finally started blogging regularly.
5. What is your favourite project that you are most proud of?
My Pavot Coat. It’s certainly not perfect, but I learned a ton and am still impressed with myself for drafting a lining (someday I’ll post that tutorial! Agh!)
6. What is your least favourite project and why?
Blargh. There are several. If I have to pick one, I’d say a Lady Skater I made with a spongy sweater knit…the fabric wash cheap, I sewed some of the serger seams twice (NEVER DO THAT), and it was just a bad fabric/pattern combo. Hence I never blogged it. Blech.
7. Do you have any formal training in your craft?
I took several classes in my youth, and my mom taught me a ton about sewing and knitting. So, semi-formal training? 😛
8. Do you have your own craft room?
HA I wish!! We have a tiny apartment that is pretty much constantly overflowing with my sewing stuff at this point. I took over the dining room table and am slowly conquering the bookshelves…
9. How do you get your ideas?
I love to “idea shop” at retail stores, and reading blogs also is a big inspiration. I feel a little guilty about this, but I get a lot of motivation from competitions and sew-alongs – for some reason a time limit really amps up my sewing mojo.
10. Does your partner support you in your ideas?
Yes! Especially since he now gets pants and underwear from it…
11. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Oof. At that point, I’m hoping to have designed a few patterns, had a few kids, and sung a few opera roles. And someday write a book, but I’m giving myself a lifetime for that one.
Ok, now my turn! Apparently the original Liebster award involved nominating 5 bloggers instead of 11 (at least, according to Sophie at Two Random Words), so that’s what I’m going to do, mostly because I just don’t read enough blogs to come up with 11 😛 (to my shame – there are a lot of great bloggers out there!!). Please note – I’m going by WordPress numbers in terms of followers, so if you have a buzillion followers on Bloglovin or something like that, my bad!
My nominees are:
1. Infectious Stitches. She had some fab tutorials and makes fantastic stuff. She’s getting close to 200 followers – how about you give her the “big push”!
2. Gray All Day. A seriously gorgeous gal who makes some seriously gorgeous clothing. Check her out!
3. Stacey Stitch. I love her sassy vintage style – she really rocks the Mad Men look!
4. What Miss Amy did next. She’s been making some lovely dresses and skirts lately – go take a look!
5. A Handmade Wardrobe. She’s even made shoes, y’all. SHOES
And your questions are:
1. When did you start sewing?
2. What is your favorite pattern?
3. Do you have your own sewing space?
4. Do you do other types of crafting (knitting, crocheting, card making, etc)?
5. How do you balance sewing with work and family?
6. What are some of your sewing strengths?
7. What are some of your sewing goals – new skills, different patterns, etc?
8. Do you tend to sew with a plan, or do you wait until inspiration hits you and run with it?
9. How often do you sew, and for how long?
10. What project are you the most proud of?
11. What project are you least happy with?
Ok, I think that’s it for today! Whew! Thank you to all of you out there who read this blog – you keep my inspired and encouraged!