Agh, now my titles rhyme…sorry, y’all! But I think I’m allowed for now – it’s been a rough couple of days here at chez Emily! Long story short, I ended up in the ER on Thursday with a kidney stone, and it took the entire weekend to get rid of the darned thing, which meant lying in bed and not sewing :(. Frustration of frustrations! However, yesterday I was finally able to get out of bed and tackle a bit of sewing, and managed to complete a project I had started before the whole dreadful kidney incident – my Belcarra Blouse!
I had been waiting to follow the sewalong, which had lots of great tips for assembling the blouse. The trickiest part for me was sewing the sleeve cuffs – you have to leave a precise 5/8″ opening at the top of the sleeve and cuff in order to get them to match. All it took was a little patience and a little unpicking to get it right, though, which isn’t too bad!
I went up a size from my usual Sewaholic size – I usually sew up a size 4, even though my measurements are a size 6, but this time I chose a size 6. I think I’ll go back to a 4 next time – this blouse is just a little too blouse-y for me, if you know what I mean!
See? Just a bit on the big side. I went with sleeve option B with the pintucks – its a nice little detail that I think adds a lot to a solid-colored top. It also matches the pleats in the skirt!
Oh, and speaking of the skirt, that’s my self-drafted skirt from a few months back. The fabric for the blouse is the same fabric I used for the contrast insets :).
And now for some news! I had mentioned in an earlier post about entering some garments in the Sewing Indie Month contests, and I am thrilled to announce that I made the “short list” for three out of the four! (Yes, I entered them all…I’m a sucker for contests :P). If you would like to vote, here they are:
Many thanks for all the great comments I got on those projects – your support means a lot!!