Oof, I hinted at a second Watson post over two weeks ago – where has the time gone?? Sorry about that, y’all. I’ve been suffering from loss of blogging mojo and a little dip in sewjo. Excuses, I know :P. I have been working on a bit of secret sewing though, as well as a birthday dress, so there will be fun things to look forward to in the future! For now, though, the rest of my Watson bras (and another bikini!).
First off, I wanted to briefly mention fit. I think I said in my last post that I made a 32A for the bras, but for my latest one (the black and red from the previous post), I actually went a size up to 32B. I need to experiment further, but I think I like the bigger size a bit better. This could just be because I tend to have a rather heavy hand when stretching my elastics, though – time and experience will tell! Also, on the subject of fit, I have now actually worn the panties a few times and am happy to report that they are some of the most comfortable undies I’ve ever worn. Win!
So, now for the rest of my makes. First off, I have another set of bra/undies to show off, this time in purple bamboo! I really love working with bamboo, especially for lingerie. It’s just so buttery and soft, yet keeps it’s shape quite nicely. (And a note on the materials for my previous bras – they were all made with man-made fibers, either polyester or nylon/Lycra. Just FYI) This is probably my favorite pair so far!
I chose to line the cups on this one, which I’m liking more and more. I managed to enclose the cup seam by sandwiching it between the mesh lining and the bamboo fabric. I learned the technique from Maddie in the lingerie video she did for The Sewing Party, but now that the event is over I’m not sure how to reference that method. But it’s a great one! Here are some pics of the innards, though it’s almost impossible to see anything from these pics (apologies!).
And of course, I’ve saved the best for last – my longline lace bra! I’m really quite proud of this one, and feel very fancy wearing it.
Isn’t she a beauty?? I used Amy’s tutorial on cutting scalloped lace, and it worked beautiful. The only thing I’m a bit unhappy with is that I pulled the clear elastic too right across the top of the cup, as you can see in the photos, so the lace buckles a bit. Oh well, next time maybe I’ll get it right! Still proud of it, though.
So, those are my bras! I’m taking a pause from bra making while I figure out how to deal with the whole wearing-unpadded-bras-to-work thing. I got some thoughtful responses on my last post about that, saying that in certain work environments it’s really not acceptable. I’m wondering about simply adding some light foam padding – one blogger tried that here. Hmmmm…
Hooray for me-made undies!!