Gabriolaaaa!

As many of you already know, Tasia over at Sewaholic recently came out with a gorgeous new skirt pattern – the Gabriola Skirt. I knew as soon as I saw it that I had to have one – I’ve always been a huge sucker for maxi styles and flowy garments. Lucky for me, there’s a great sewalong to follow for the whole process, and I just finished mine this morning!

20140328-133546.jpg

I’m so happy with the result! However, the process of putting this project together was not always happiness-inducing…to be honest, it was quite a roller coaster of emotions! A lot of that was either due to my inexperience or a plain ol’ user error. My first mistake was to cut out the entire skirt while I had a terrible head cold. Since I don’t have a cutting table, I was working on the floor, so I has to take frequent breaks because I would get horribly dizzy.

As a result, those tricky bias yoke pieces were not well cut, which quickly became a problem as I tried to sew the yoke together. I ended up having to redo those seams many times, which I think may have warped the fabric…oy. One sewing tip, though – I discovered that if you put the bias piece on the bottom, facing the feed dogs, you’ll have an easier time working with the bias at the sewing machine. I think I figured that out on my third try :P.

Then when I had put the whole thing together and tried it on, I discovered that the side seams were pulling towards the back at weird angles and the side seams were puckering oddly…ugh! This was caused by a combo of warped bias edges (due to overworking) and my extra-full bum. It turns out that for this pattern, you need to pay attention to how your front hip and back hip measurements compare. If they are similar-ish, then you can go ahead and just sew the pattern as-is. If, however, you have an ample derrière like mine, you will need to cut the back yoke a size bigger (and grading between sizes is covered in the sewalong, never fear!). So at the suggestion of the lovely Caroline Amanda (who works with Tasia), I used smaller seam allowances in the back to give myself more room there. Next time I will just cut the back yoke pieces a size larger. Whew!

One thing that did go particularly well with this skirt was the pattern placement. This fabric is a “faux hand-dyed” piece, so it’s actually a print made to look hand dyed. Since it’s a print, I did need to pay attention to pattern “repeats.” I wanted to make sure that my skirt panels had a similar light-to-dark pattern, and I wanted to use those contrast to highlight the yoke pieces as well. I think I accomplished that!

Now for the grand tour – get ready for lots of pics! Here’s the 360 view:

20140328-154337.jpg

20140328-154351.jpg

20140328-154407.jpg

At Tasia’s suggestion, I hemmed it so that it’s floor length with flats or slightly off the floor with heels. So of course I had to model it with both!

20140328-154554.jpg

20140328-154610.jpg

And, of course, a detail pic of those yoke pieces perfectly matched at the back and sides:

20140328-154720.jpg

20140328-154734.jpg

You may notice that I used an invisible zipper instead of a regular one – I actually prefer sewing invisible zips! And it’s been so long since I’ve done it any other way that I’ve kind of forgotten how…(shhhh!)

Oh, and you may be wondering, what’s up with the shirt? It was a birthday present from the husband a few weeks ago :). Oh yeeeaaah

20140328-154938.jpg

I’ll be sharing my thoughts on how to wear this skirt to work a bit later. So to conclude for today, I love this skirt! It’s fun and super flattering – and I feel like a princess when I wear it! WIN

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Gabriolaaaa!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s