The Anna Experiment, Part 2: A Wintery Anna

I had posted a week or so ago that I was working on an Anna Dress that just wasn’t going my way. Well, it took some coaxing, but I finally worked out the kinks, and a dress I thought I’d never wear has already turned into a dress I love!

20140120-231725.jpg

Ta-da! This is the second garment made from the wool I inherited from my mother-in-law, so I wanted to make sure it would be something special that I would wear a lot. And what could be more wearable during a cold Boston winter than a wool dress??

However, I did have several fitting conundrums while constructing this, so I wasn’t sure if this venture was going to end well. First of all, I made a size 6 for the entire bodice instead of grading from a 2 to a 6 like my last one. I also made a slight sway back adjustment to bring the back waist up to the front waist level. Next, I made a muslin of the bodice, which fit well, so I cut into my fabric and went for it. However, the more loosely woven wool fit very differently than the cotton muslin, so when I tried on this version it was way too baggy at the bust, and generally made me look like a big blue stuffed animal. The sleeves were also totally wonky, and fell back on the shoulders far too much.

I put it aside in disgust for a few days trying to figure out where I went wrong. I eventually ended up taking about an inch off the front neckline (to get the shoulders to sit correctly) and took in my shoulder/sleeve seam about 3/4″ at the shoulder, tapering to nothing at the end of the sleeve. That seemed to take care of the extra fullness in the bust, and tightened up the sleeves just enough so that I no longer looked like a giant blue teddy bear.

20140121-091949.jpg

Shoulders fixed! Well, close enough…

Now for a few detail shots – I was quite proud of how well I got all the seams on the bodice to match the skirt. I even managed to match the waist seam at the invisible zipper – woot!

20140121-092122.jpg

20140121-092133.jpg

I fully lined the dress in a polyester plaid, which was a fun detail. I tried matching the plaid as an exercise, but forgot to take into account that the plaid needs to match at the 5/8″ line, not the cutting line – oops! But now I know for next time…

20140121-092341.jpg

20140121-092357.jpg

I may end up shortening the sleeves for practicality – I keep finding myself pushing them up due to some tightness at the elbow. But all in all, I’m quite pleased with my winterized Anna! Hooray!

20140121-092439.jpg

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “The Anna Experiment, Part 2: A Wintery Anna

  1. Great! I currently have a UFO Anna floating around due to fitting issues. Maybe I should try some of your ideas… Anyway yours looks fab, well done! 🙂

    • Thanks!! It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be to get the fit right – just spend some time experimenting with pinning out different sections. Since the bodice is just one simple piece without much fussy shaping, pinning out at the shoulders actually works!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s